Monday, March 19, 2012

my great aunt once saw doris day

This August marks my 8th year as a New Yorker.  Aside from Facebook posts and scribblings in an ever abandoned diary, I don't have a formal account of my time in New York - glamorous and, more often than not, otherwise.

In my family, Aunt Kitty, is the historian - collecting memories of my grandparents and compiling them into notebooks so that we can reminisce about the great people they were and learn more about the life experiences that shaped them into the people we knew and loved.  

In one of the official Brewer/Risbourg family memory books, I read about my great-aunt's trip to New York City and how she saw Doris Day.  I immediately pictured her in a scene from Pillow Talk or That Touch of Mink and was tickled at the thought of her excitement in seeing such a grand movie star. Then I thought, "Gee, think about how tickled my great-nieces would be to hear my stories from New York."  Thus, Marie Takes Manhattan was born.  

So stay tuned for ramblings about when Mariah Carey called me Charlie, when I summoned Julie Andrews with a song, when I watched a movie with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and many more slightly less glamorous tales. 


1 comment:

  1. Woohooo!! It finally happened! I wonder when someone famous will discover this and turn it into a tv show. I'll be able to say, "I knew you when..."

    ReplyDelete